Monday, March 12, 2012

The Imp on Your Write Shoulder


With my son’s permission, I am sharing a letter I gave him on his twenty-fifth birthday− ALMOST TEN YEARS AGO.  Any parent can attest to the swift passage of time when we think of the ages of our children.  I have never talked about the imp with Brodie.  Did he appear?  Somehow, I think he did. 
Wishing you continued happiness and success, Brodie
Happy Birthday
Love, Mom

So here is the birthday letter that marked his first milestone!

My darling son Brodie,
I am going to share something astonishing with you.  You are old enough to hear about this now.
At some point in everybody’s life, a little imp crawls out from behind our ear, (I kid you not), slides down our neck and onto our shoulder.  He takes a look around and then taps (it’s more like a sharp flick) on our ear lobe to get our attention.  He says, ‘So, bud, is this it then?  Is this where you wannabe forever?  Are we here to stay?’
Whoa.  It’s startling.  Quite a revelation.  You look around and see your world through the eyes of this annoying imp.  What a jolt.  He forces you to take stock.  You begin thinking, ‘What have I done, and what do I want to do?  Where am I and where do I want to be?’
It sounds like I’m making this up but believe me it’s true.  Besides, would I lie?  I don’t want to alarm you but you are almost 25 years old.  This is a definite milestone in life.  The imp can appear earlier of course...or later...but he will definitely show up.  I’m speaking from experience.  Actually, it happened to me twice but that’s another story. 
I must warn you.  When you look through someone else’s eyes, you see things you never saw before.  Sometimes it can be wonderful and you start appreciating everyone and everything you have.  Other times, though, it can be scary.  The opportunity only comes when you have the imp’s gift of vision.
It’s quite a power trip knowing you alone rule your destiny.  Think about it.  You make it all happen.  And having that pesky little imp on your shoulder is not necessarily an irritation but a support system.  When he shows up you know it’s time to move on to your next stage of life.  Enjoy it to the fullest.  I gave you life; it’s up to you how you live it.
With pride and love in my heart
I wish you the happiest birthday
Your loving Mother

No comments:

Post a Comment