Monday, March 11, 2013

Writers on Facebook


Last week’s blog post addressed the confusion over the username of my Facebook page.  This week, let’s talk about why I have a Facebook page.  To begin with, it’s part of the writers’ platform.  What’s a platform, you ask?  We’ll talk more about platforms next week. 

Some writers refer to their page as a fan page, or author page, or writer page.  Even though I have had success with short stories, I refuse to call mine an author page until I have a novel published.  A fan page? ... oh, I wish, haha... okay, so let’s refer to it as a Facebook writer page. 

Initially, I created a writer page because it felt increasingly uncomfortable posting links on my personal page for my weekly blog, monthly magazine column, and updates on my WIP.  That might be a throwback to the days of being a closet writer when even my closest friends didn’t realize my passion.  Whatever the reason, I prefer to keep my reading and writing updates and exchanges on a separate Facebook page. 

Aside from promoting my work (remember the platform), my writer page is a comfortable meeting place where avid readers and writers can interact.  That’s what I love the most about it; I love hearing about works in progress, current favourite authors and books – especially if they’re of the crime/suspense/thriller genre. 

Initially, close friends and family LIKED my page to show their support for my writing.  For them, it’s a great vehicle for following my journey along the obstacle riddled road to an agent or publisher.  The ride is more enjoyable with company.  Thanks for hanging with me.

Gradually, I’m attracting other writers to my page.  And that’s a good thing.  It’s a great way to connect with people with similar interests and keep in touch with others that I’ve met online in writer groups.  It’s a privilege to promote the websites, blogs, and pages of other writers or businesses connected with the publishing industry.

Some confusion does arise when people I meet online send friend requests to my personal profile rather than LIKING my professional page.  Though I am thrilled to connect with them, I’m sure they are more interested in interacting as writers and readers than viewing my grandchildren’s pictures.  Mind you, the kids are real cuties!  By LIKING my Phyllis Humby, Writer page, followers will receive my updates and if they have a page as well, I am able to track their activity through their status updates. 

It’s all about being connected!  Being part of a community!  Feeling the pulse of readers, writers, bookstores, publishers!  And yes, self-promotion.  It’s a necessity.  We must constantly network to keep in touch with trends and changes to the industry.

Though, if I had it to do over, I would have created another Facebook profile rather than a page.  I would have followers instead of LIKES.  At the time, I wasn’t aware of the choice.  At the time, I wasn’t aware of a lot.  Actually, I had no idea what I was doing and it can still be confusing.  No regrets though, I’m connecting with new people all the time.  I LIKE my page!  Hope you do, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment